Nowadays, there are so many health supplements that are floating around in the market, that it easy to get confused with what to take and what not to take. Here, we take a closer look at CholestOff, a product that is produced by Nature Made or Pharmavite, LLC, a company based in California. But before we get into how this supplement works, let’s take a closer look into what exactly cholesterol is and why it’s so critical for the cholesterol levels in the blood to be under control.
What is Cholesterol?
Cholesterol is a waxy substance contained in the bloodstream. It is produced by the liver but can also be introduced externally by consumption of red meat and foods that are high in fat content like dairy products and eggs. It commonly understood that cholesterol is bad for the health but this is not a correct statement. You may be surprised to know that cholesterol helps in the creation of certain hormones and in digestion of food in the body. However, high levels of the wrong type of cholesterol are undesirable.
|Product Name||Probiox Plus||CholestOff|
|Quality of Ingredients||4.9/5||3.4/5|
|Speed of Results||4.9/5||3.5/5|
Types of Cholesterol
There are two types of cholesterol, HDL (high density lipoprotein) and LDL (low density lipoprotein):
- HDL Cholesterol: This is known as ‘good’ cholesterol and is considered to be safe to have in the bloodstream. It helps to control the levels of excess bad cholesterol by sending it back to the liver where it gets flushed out of the body.
- LDL Cholesterol: This is ‘bad’ cholesterol and levels of this substance need to be monitored at all times. LDL cholesterol builds up in the walls of the arteries, restricting the blood flow in the body. Excess buildup of LDL cholesterol can lead to cardiovascular health issues and greatly increases the risk of a heart attack.
What’s Good about CholestOff?
Having gained a better insight into the facts surrounding cholesterol level in the body and the adverse effect it can have on your body, you will understand that there needs to be some control on how cholesterol is being produced. The main means of cholesterol control of course, is to monitor what you eat, to maintain a balanced and healthy diet.
However, simply maintaining a controlled diet may not be enough to keep your cholesterol levels in check. This is where CholestOff comes in handy.
CholestOff is a diet supplement that can be taken safely without a doctor’s prescription for reducing the cholesterol levels in the blood. This supplement is also useful for improving cardiovascular health and general well-being. The basic function of CholestOff is to block the absorption of cholesterol by the body.
How Does it Work?
CholestOff is produced from plant extracts, by combining stanols and sterols to form a substance called ‘Reducol’ which acts as a catalyst which initiates the process of blocking absorption of cholesterol by the body. According to the manufacturer, sterols and stanols have been tested for side-effects over a period of time and have been found to be safe for human consumption.
Another useful feature about CholestOff is that is does not contain artificial flavors, preservatives, yeast or gluten, which eliminates the possibility of allergic side-effects. According to research findings of the company, 2 grams of stanols or sterols from plant sources can lower LDL levels up to 15%.
Composition of CholestOff
Here is a brief description of the ingredients that make up CholestOff:
- Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose: Used as an emulsifier
- Magnesium Stearate: An inactive ingredient which helps in the flow of active ingredients in the production of supplements.
- Silicon Dioxide: An anti-caking agent.
- Tribasic calcium phosphate: Used as a calcium supplement.
- Polythene Glycol: This substance is a de-foaming agent and is used for coating the tablets.
Possible Side-Effects of CholestOff
Although this supplement has been known to work on most people who took it, if you already have a severe chronic cardiovascular health problem, it would be better to seek professional medical attention and not rely solely on this supplement.
There have been reports of a small minority of users developing side effects as follows:
- Lowered sex drive
- Erectile dysfunction
Contraindications of CholestOff
- Due the possible side-effects mentioned above, it is not advisable for children, pregnant or lactating mothers to take CholestOff.
- CholestOff may also block absorption of certain compounds that are vital to the body like vitamin E, A and D and beta-carotene.
- Due to the property of inhibiting absorption of certain substances, care should be exercised in taking this supplement in combination with other drugs.
- It is also possible that postmenopausal women could develop diabetes or related health issues by taking supplements that reduce cholesterol levels.
The Final Verdict
While CholestOff is beneficial to most, it should be kept in mind that it may not be safe for everyone. While it is possible that the side-effects as described above in this article may not be observed, this supplement may not work as desired with some people. Hence, you should take CholestOff in consultation with a doctor to get the best benefit from this dietary supplement.