When there is some health issue with our body which cannot be resolved by following a normal diet, we resort to dietary supplements, like Dexatrim, to help us out. Being overweight is a health issue that is often out of our control and something that is totally undesirable to us. Carrying about extra pounds also leads to several health issues like diabetes, digestive tract conditions, high blood pressure and cardiovascular problems. Therefore, we all strive to conquer the ‘Battle of the Bulge’ but often with limited success.
To aid us in weight loss, several dietary supplements have been introduced and the manufacturers make tall claims portraying them as magic potions to pave the way to losing weight without tears. However, how do we know which of these are genuine and which are total hocus-pocus?
History of Dexatrim
Dexatrim has been around for over 30 years. It was originally launched by Thomson Medical and later taken over by Chattern in 1998. Today it is owed by Sanofi. The formula has been modified with the passage of time. Initially, it contained a decongestant called phenylpropanolamine and another compound known as ephendra. However, with studies revealing possible side effects that could cause stroke and myocardial injury, use of these compounds were removed and the improved version of the supplement today is allegedly devoid of them.
What’s Good about Dexatrim?
According to the company, Dexatrim pills are designed for weight loss, however the claim is not based on any particular scientific findings. However, the ingredients used in this dietary supplement are known to be linked with weight loss, so based on the composition, we can assume that regular consumption of these pills will logically lead to losing weight.
|Product Name||Probiox Plus||Dexatrim|
|Quality of Ingredients||4.9/5||3.6/5|
|Speed of Results||4.9/5||3.7/5|
How Does it Work?
As mentioned above, the ingredients of Dexatrim are substances that are known to exhibit weight loss properties. The result of weight loss here is not achieved by any single ingredient but a combined effect of all the ingredients. Some ingredients cause loss of appetite, which results in a reduced intake of food. Other ingredients like caffeine and synephrine (contained in orange peel) for instance, increase the metabolism which provides a stimulus to the body to be more active and thus burn more calories. Then, there are ingredients that reduce muscle fatigue like orange peel which will help you to work out for longer periods.
Composition of Dexatrim
Some of the key ingredients in Dexatrim are:
- Caffeine: Caffeine stimulates the nervous system which helps to reduce physical fatigue.
- Green tea is a great deoxidant and is believed to reduce appetite.
- Asian ginseng: Helps to reduce blood sugar and cholesterol levels and also acts as a relaxant.
- DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone): This is a hormone produced by the human body also present in wild yam and soy. It is believed to control the adverse metabolism caused by abdominal fat.
- 7-Keto: It is a derivative of DHEA and is believed to fight the adverse effects of fat accumulation.
- Bitter orange peel extract: The oil extracted from the peel of bitter orange contains flavones, the alkaloids synephrine, octopamine, N-methyltyramine and carotenoids which are supposed to have multiple benefits including weight loss.
- Cocoa extract: This again has multiple benefits including weight loss due to its high fiber content.
- Kelp: It is basically seaweed and is rich in vitamins A, B1, B2, C, D and E, in addition to basic elements like zinc, iodine, magnesium, iron, potassium, copper and calcium. It has natural weight loss properties due to the presence of a substance called ‘alginate.’
- Rutin: This is a flavonoid which can be found in several fruits and vegetables. Rutin activates the production of mitochondria of brown fat cells which help the body tissue to burn calories.
- Hesperidin: This substance occurs naturally in citrus fruits and is considered to be beneficial for treating high cholesterol and is also said to help in weight loss treatment.
Possible Side-Effects of Dexatrim
There have been some instances where the following side-effects occurred:
- Heart problems: increase in blood flow and blood pressure.
- Abdominal issues: Disruption of the digestive system accompanied by cramps and in some cases, loose stools, sometimes blood-tainted.
- Caffeine hypersensitivity: Characterized by anxiety, restlessness, heart palpitations, irregular heartbeats and breathlessness.
- Iodine Overdose: Kelp contains a high volume of iodine, hazardous to patients suffering from hyperthyroidism.
Contraindications of Dexatrim
- Using Dexatrim with midazolam can alter the body’s detoxification process.
- Not suitable for those suffering from hyperthyroidism.
- Not to be used for individuals less than 18 years of age.
- Pregnant or lactating women should abstain from taking Dexatrim.
- Should not be taken in combination with other medications. If you are already taking some medication or some other health supplements, get cleared by a doctor before proceeding further.
The Final Verdict
We have researched deep into all the available information about Dexatrim to provide you with the true picture of this health supplement. You will notice that most of the ingredients are natural extracts, hence cannot be harmful of taken in small doses for a person with normal health. However, if you have any underlying health issues or are already taking some medication, it’s best that you consult your doctor before starting off on Dexatrim.